Friday, December 12, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still

The original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still is my dad's favorite movie. I've heard the story about the first time he saw it (several times). He was only a few years old at a drive-in with his parents. He remembers standing in the car and leaning over the seat watching the movie.

So, he's been obsessing over this new version for some time now. He was happy to hear when they retooled the robot. 

Dad: (in a very "fatherly" tone) So, we need to talk about this weekend...
Me: Ok. (I have no idea where this is going. I think maybe he wants to talk about the ornament decorating party I'm having, but can't figure out why he'd want to talk about that.)
Dad: Friday is when The Day the Earth Stood Still comes out.
Me: Oh, right!
Dad: And I'm wondering how I'll determine if I should see it. I don't like Keanu Reeves......for anything.
Me: Yeah.
Dad: I was thinking, if you have some friends who go see it and they tell you it's good......they're wrong.
Me: (laughs)
Dad: I mean if it's a good as Iron Man, I'll go see it. Because Iron Man was funny. I liked Iron Man. But if it's as good as the Incredible Hulk, I think I'll pass. 

No comments: